Sunday, July 26, 2009

Frozen treats


Last summer my husband bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday. I made ice cream and sherbet several times last year; feeling much braver, I started makign sorbets this summer. I'm going to tell you that eating ice cold strawberry or blueberry sorbet in 100 degree temperatures is one the the best ways to beat the heat. It's also so easy to make that I thought I share a couple of recipes with you so you can pick and choose what you want to make.

Now I'm not using the old fashioned ice cream maker that you have to have ice and rock salt; I'm using the type of ice cream maker where you keep the bowl in the freezer so it's ready whenever you feel like a cool treat. You can get an expensive "professional" one, but their are affordable varieties that you can pick up at most stores for $30.

Orange Sherbet

Mix 1 can of sweetened condensed milk with
1 lt of any orange drink like Orange Crush.

I find it best if both are chilled first. It's important that when you are mixing the ingredients that the milk is completely dissolved.

Turn the ice cream maker on and pour the mixture through the lid. Let it mix until the the unit stops.

Sorbet

Dissolve 1 cup of sugar into
1cup of water over low heat.

Place syrup into the refrigerator until chilled.

Puree 2 cups of fruit (I've used blueberries and strawberries) or a cup of fruit juice (I used fresh squeezed lemon) and mix with the syrup.

Once again you will want to have the ice cream maker turned on as you pour the mixture through the whole in the lid. Let it mix until the unit stops.

No comments: