Wednesday, November 17, 2010

French Onion Soup

Here's what your gonna need:

4 cups thinly chopped onion ( I used at least 6 cups)
3 tablespoons butter*
1 table spoon oil*
1/4 teaspoon sugar*
1 teaspoon salt*
3 tablespoons four*
3 cans a good beef broth (I used 5)
4 cups of water (I used 4)
1/2 cup white wine*
3 tablespoons brandy*
rounds of french bread
grated Swiss and Parmesan cheeses


This is my mother-in-law's (MIL) recipe. I have always loved it, so I know you will too. My MIL chopped the onions in her Cuisinart and I added them in the pan with the butter and oil. I had the heat on low stirring fairly often for about 15 minutes. Then I turned the heat up to medium and added the sugar and salt. For the next 40 minutes I had to keep a close eye on the onions, stirring frequently until they were an even brown.





I sprinkled in the flour as I stirred the browned onions for several minute then removed them from the heat.




After I heated the beef broth and water in a separate pan, I added the onions back in.









Next I added the wine and the brandy, covered the pot and let it simmer for approximately 30 minutes.



Now for the best part; turn your oven on to broil, fill your oven safe bowls with soup, sprinkle in some cheese, top with a piece of really good French bread and more cheese. Then let them brown off in the oven. Serve hot.






This will take you about 1 1/2 - 2 hours so plan accordingly.



*Of course I didn't actually measure anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've not had French Onion Soup in ages!! I may have to try this one out.

Unknown said...

I couldn't find an email or contact for you. I have an email link on my profile. I tried to subscribe to posts and got blog scramble. It would make it easier to keep up with each others posts. Email me so we can work together more efficiently.

With 6 kids the holidays have been crazy for me to do much of anything, my apologies.

Blessings

MusingMom6